Disaster Event Reports

Report Lists

Quick View

Description

Shwebo District in Sagaing Region has been hit by a untimely drought causing difficulty with monsoon paddy growing while outright leading some plantations to wither and die, according to local sources. In the district, the areas without access to a dam that have to rely on rainwater. The drought has caused cultivation problems for the local farmers. Only the areas that have access to irrigated water can grow their crops. "Here, we have too little rain to grow crops. Due to the drought, we don’t have water for the fields where we cultivated crops with the water in earlier rain season. So, plants have died. Some farmers pour water on their plantations with the water they are pumping from the wells which is a costly effort. Unless we are able to grow crops by this month, we will be running out of time to do it. Without the monsoon paddy, both humans and cattles will have difficulty with food," said a local famer from Moegaung Village in Shwebo District. Most farmers in Moegaung have not been able to grow monsoon paddy and some already-cultivated plantations are now ruined due to the drought. Irrigating water to the paddy plantations through pumps will cost a lot more as about five gallons of diesel have to be bought for per acre plantation worth of water supply. Some villages in Khin-U Township, Shwebo District, are said to be holding tug-of-war competitions as a ritualistic gesture of calling for rain in the Myanmar tradition. Shwebo District grows paddy as the main crop, and other crops such as groundnut, sesame, pigeon pea and maize. Local rely on irrigation system and rainwater for growing crops. While drought occurs in central Myanmar, lower regions such as Taninthayi, Bago, Mon and Kayin are suffering floods caused by heavy rain, destroying or damaging over 100,000 acres of plantations.

Tue, 11 Sep 2018

Myanmar, Drought in Shwebo

Sagaing, Myanmar
VERIFIED
 
CLOSED
AHA-DR-2018-000256-MMR
Quick View

Description

Floods and landslides in northern mountainous and central provinces have killed 15 people and left four missing, along with heavy losses in property, according to the Central Steering Committee for Natural Disaster Prevention and Control. Torrential rains persisting from late August that led to serious floods and landslides have ravaged the northern mountainous provinces of Son La, Lao Cai, Cao Bang, Yen Bai and Lai Chau and central Thanh Hoa and Nghe An provinces. The committee’s statistics as of September 2 showed that one death was reported in Son La, one in Yen Bai, one in Lang Son, one in Hoa Binh, two in Lai Chau and nine in Thanh Hoa. Three locals in Thanh Hoa and another in Lai Chau were still missing. As many as 364 houses were destroyed, while 754 other families had to evacuate. Floods drown 6,523 hectares of rice and crops, with the largest area of 4,586 being in Thanh Hoa province. Alongside, 512 cattle and 56,367 poultry were killed. Floods also swept away 963 hectares of aquatic farm, while damaging 620m dykes and 6,174m of canals. The localities reported nearly 90,000 cubic metres of landslides. Currently, the localities are promptly applied measures to overcome consequences of the disasters and clear the roads. So far, national highways crossing Son La, Hoa Binh, Yen Bai, Dien Bien and Thanh Hoa have been smooth, but many provincial and district roads have still been blocked. In Lai Chau, floods and landslides blocked many sections of national highways 4D, 4H and 12, along with provincial roads 127, 128 and 129, causing traffic congestion. Local authorities warned locals not to go out and keep away from areas with high risks of landslides. At the same time, the Mekong Delta provinces of Long An, An Giang, Kien Giang and Dong Thap are likely to suffer from floods in the rainy season.

Tue, 04 Sep 2018

Viet Nam, Floods and landslides in northern and central provinces

, Viet Nam
VERIFIED
 
CLOSED
AHA-FL-2018-000249-VNM
Quick View

Description

Record-breaking volumes of cascading mountain water damaged a road approaching Sihat Bridge on Bhamo-Mandalay Road in Bhamo Township, Kachin State on August 30 and Khokyin dam water filtering pool had burst open for about 100 feet length, sources said. Heavy rain poured down since the morning of August 30 and the water level in Nantsali stream that flows downward from Myanmar-China border was suddenly increased. The road exiting Bhamo was covered with at least three-foot deep water while the road approaching Sihat Bridge was also damaged for about 50 feet. MP Zaw Thin of Bhamo Constituency said, “The amount of water falling down from the mountain rarely happens in like once in fifty-years time. But now it has happened for two consecutive times. The road authorities shut down Bhamo-Mandalay road due to the collapse of Sihat Bridge. They are preparing to build a temporary bailey bridge. Many farmlands were damaged. Water level was increased to eight feet during last month and now it has reached to nine feet. All government departments including rescue and relief teams are here. I haven’t heard of any casualties.” According to observations made by Department of Meteorology and Hydrology of Bhamo district on August 30, the recorded rainfall is 1.89 inches and the final recorded rainfall will be known at 9am next morning. More than 5,000 acres of paddy fields and two bridges are destroyed in Bhamo, Mansi and Momauk on August 27 due to isolated heavy falls. Landslides occurred on Bhamo-Momauk-lweje road blocked transportation, said locals.

Thu, 30 Aug 2018

Myanmar, Flooding in Bhamo Township

Kachin, Myanmar
VERIFIED
 
CLOSED
AHA-FL-2018-000246-MMR
Quick View

Description

The spillway collapse of Swar Chaung dam killed one resident, missed six ones and displaced more than 60,000 in Toungoo District, Bago Region on August 29. A surge of water fractured the part of Swar Chaung bridge, and bridge supporting pillars were submerged under about one and a half feet of water, said Dr Kyaw Kyaw, a regional parliamentarian representing Yedashe of Bago Region. A flow of water running out of Swar Chaung dam was submerging Yangon-Mandalay highway under about two feet of water starting 7 am on August 29. The RP 1 of the bridge was lowered about one and half feet. The road section mile post 199/4 on old Yangon-Mandalay highway was also inundated, reported by the Ministry of Construction. At the moment, plans are underway to carry out a rapid repair to the bridge by the Ministry of Construction. The chief minister of Bago Region, the deputy minister of the Ministry of Construction, the heads of departments and local authorities quickly arrived to render assistance, according to the Ministry of Construction. A gush of water coming from the collapse of the spillway of Swar Chaung dam flooded nearby villages and both highways of new Yangon-Mandalay and old Yangon-Mandalay. “The incident of the spillway collapse killed one person and was missing six according to the latest information received at about 2 pm on August 29. 85 villages from 17 village tracts in Toungoo District were inundated. The flash flood displaced more than 60,000 people. Rescue measures are being carried out and rescue camps opened,” said Dr Kyaw Kyaw. Some people are still missing in the flash flood because it is very swift. Rescue measures are being carried out with added momentum, said Dr Kyaw Kyaw. “We don’t know some people in the flash flood whether they are dead or not. We have found one body. It is an old-age woman,” said Dr Kyaw Kyaw. The spillway broke about 7 am and Yangon-Mandalay Highway had to be temporarily closed. At about 10 am, Vice-President Henry Van Thio, Commander-in-Chief of Defence Services Senior General Min Aung Hlaing, and Dr Win Myat Aye, Minister for Social Welfare, Relief and Resettlement were quick to supervise rescue measures. “We will have to work together in the event of a natural disaster. The spillway of the dam collapsed. The old Yangon-Mandalay Highway was worse. The vice-present and the deputy minister have already arrived at the scene. So far, more than 60,000 acres of farmlands have been inundated,” said Senior General Min Aung Hlaing. The highway had to be closed because of the flood for a few hours. At about 11 am, one lane of Swar Chaung bridge was reopened for home-use cars. The police officer of Yangon-Mandalay Highway said the flood water has descended. The authorities are still making checks on the bridge. The bridge lowered a little. Erosion makes the bridge lower and it must be repaired as soon as possible. A Bailey bridge will be constructed for travelers to see conveniences, said deputy minister Kyaw Lin. Divers will go down to the hollows at the bottom of the water when the water becomes stable. When the hollows become stable, vehicles are allowed to pass on the bridge. Then, the Bailey bridge will be constructed for traffic, said deputy minister Kyaw Lin. Plans are underway to evacuate the residents from Kyuntawsu, Uyinhmu villages and the villages along the creek to safer places as the flow of water flooded the villages. A car was taken by the flash water near toll gate of Swar. Moreover, the railway lines were inundated between Swar and Yedashe. Seven staff of Khungon railway station was trapped. The railway line services were temporarily closed.

Wed, 29 Aug 2018

Myanmar - Flash Flood in Taungoo District

Bago, Myanmar
VERIFIED
 
CLOSED
AHA-FL-2018-000240-MMR
Quick View

Description

Due to torrential rain that occurred in Okhpo Township, Thayawaddy District, Bago (west), on August 28th, water covered Yangon-Pyi Highway and also flowed into the residential wards in the downtown area of the township, according to the locals. Social and civil organizations have been carrying out rescue activities ever since the amount of floods increased starting yesterday morning. “Water level is gradually rising. The downtown wards faced flooding since yesterday morning. Water has covered the Yangon-Pyi road near Thetyatpin Seik village. The height of water level is over one and half feet on the road. Moreover, Thetyatpin Seik creek are yet to swell up. We help travelers out at the rapids. Some people, like on motorbikes, didn’t dare to cross the water. So, we helped them,” said Tun Thein, Chairman of Dhama Wizaya Social Welfare Association. “We are now carrying out rescue activities as well as providing health care services to the victims. Moreover, we have plans to distribute rice and meals to the flood victims together with Fire Brigade members, Police Force and civic and social organizations. Water level is still rising now. The fire brigade member and General Administrative Department also present at the scene,” said a volunteer carrying out rescue activities. Likewise, the collapse of a spillway channel from Hswar Dam caused flooding in the villages in Yedashe Township, Taungoo District, Bago Region, yesterday morning. Vehicles were trapped in the Yangon-Mandalay Expressway between Hswar and Yedashe Townships. Large amount of water flowed onto old Yangon-Mandalay Road and expressways making traffic jams. A total of 15 out of 31 schools, which were temporarily closed due to rain-triggered floods, reopened in Okpho Township in Thayawady District in Bago West Region. Four schools were closed on August 28, 14 schools on August 29 and ten schools on August 30, according to Okpho Township Education Officer Office. On the evening of August 29, a grade-11 female student went missing due to floods, according to the township education officer office. An official of the Okpho Township Education Officer Office said: “Yesterday, 28 schools were closed. Today, 15 schools were reopened and three schools closed.” On August 27, the township was hit by floods due to heavy downpours. Now, the flood waters have receded.

Mon, 27 Aug 2018

Myanmar, Flooding in Okhpo Township

Bago, Myanmar
VERIFIED
 
CLOSED
AHA-FL-2018-000238-MMR