Disaster Event Reports

Report Lists

Quick View

Description

Update 29 Jul 2018 = HANOI • Flash floods and landslides have killed 15 people in Vietnam‘ mountainous north, officials said, after storms ravaged homes and wiped out crops and infrastructure. At least 12 people were still missing yesterday after the weekend floods, and hundreds of police and soldiers have been deployed to help clean-up efforts. Vietnam is frequently lashed by harsh weather in the rainy season between June and November. The latest storm hit several northern provinces, littering the area with piles of rubble and trees as residents scrambled to clean up their destroyed homes. "Three died when their houses collapsed in Ha Giang province, while 12 others were swept away by flash floods, landslides and collapsed houses in Lai Chau province," the national committee on disaster control said yesterday. It said the storm caused US$6.1 million (S$8.3 million) in damage in the region. One fish farmer said that she lost everything when floods swept through her property and destroyed her pond worth some US$300,000. "We are now deep in debt. All our fish were lost in the flash floods. We don‘t know what to do now," Ms Do Thi Huong told AFP from Lai Chau province. Several remote communities were still cut off yesterday after rocks and mud blocked roads in the area. This is the first major weather incident of the year for Vietnam, which is still reeling after a deadly series of disasters last year. Natural disasters killed 389 people and caused US$2.6 billion in damage last year, according to official statistics. ----------------- Due to the impact of the low pressure and special effects of the storm No. 3, the past few days in the North Central and Northern provinces have been very heavy rain, causing flooding in many localities. Particularly in Thanh Hoa, Yen Bai province, floods, flash floods and landslides caused serious damage. As reported by the Central Steering Committee on PCTT, up to 6:00 pm on July 21, 10 people died (Yen Bai: 08 people, Thanh Hoa: 02 people); 11 people are missing (Yen Bai: 09 people, Thanh Hoa: 2 people); 14 people were injured (Yen Bai: 09 people, Son La: 01 people, Thanh Hoa: 03 people, Nghe An: 01 people). On the morning of July 21, Deputy Minister of Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development - Standing Deputy Chairman of the Central Steering Committee and PCF Hoang Van Thang and the delegation went to inspect and direct the work of carving, responding and overcoming the situation. Flooding in Phu Tho. Earlier on the afternoon of July 20, Deputy Minister Hoang Van Thang and his delegation went to inspect and direct the response and remediation of flash floods and landslides in Van Chan, Yen Bai.

Fri, 20 Jul 2018
VERIFIED
 
CLOSED

Vietnam, Effects of Tropical Storm Son-Tinh

Thanh Hóa, Viet Nam
AHA-TC-2018-000195-VNM
Quick View

Description

The National Committee for Disaster Management (NCDM) sent a report to Prime Minister Hun Sen on Thursday, saying that 1,786 houses and thousands of hectares of crops have been flooded. The NCDM said local authorities and armed forces have been cooperating with the Cambodian Red Cross to get people in affected areas to higher ground. Additionally, National Election Committee deputy secretary general Som Sorida said many polling stations for the upcoming election have been flooded with this week’s heavy rains. “We have two options – if the polling stations are flooded, we can delay the voting there, but if safe places are available, we can change the polling stations,” he said. ------------------- The Kampong Speu provincial Committee for Disaster Management on Wednesday issued an alert after non-stop heavy rain caused widespread flooding. In Koh Kong province, authorities are working with the disaster committee and the Cambodian Red Cross to assist those affected after more than 350 homes were inundated. In Battambang, the provincial department of agriculture said that, as of Wednesday, 1,100 hectares of paddy fields in Ek Phnom district were seriously affected by flooding. The Kampong Speu administration called on people to be extra cautious in order to avoid accidents, and asked local authorities at all levels to pay close attention to the vulnerable and children and to carefully monitor water levels in their areas. The alert said Wednesday’s non-stop rainfall caused water levels to reach 7.3 metres at the province’s Peam Kley pumping station, a level dangerously close to causing the Prek Tnaot river to break its banks and flood a number of nearby areas. “[A flood here] would impact agricultural land, people’s livelihoods, houses and property, and could affect their health through the spread of diseases,” the announcement states. However, Ministry of Water Resources and Meteorology spokesman Chan Vutha, said people in the nearby Phnom Sruoch district “should not be overly worried regarding the rainfall” because plans were in place to open canal gates to release water and make room for further rain. --------------------------------- Flooding in Cambodia has damaged over 1,700 homes in several provinces, according to the country’s National Committee for Disaster Management (NCDM). Flooding began on 17 July, 2018 after a period of heavy rain, affecting the provinces of Kampong Speu, Battambang, Koh Kong and Phreah Sihanouk. As many as 1,786 houses and 1,100 hectares of paddy fields have been damaged. The NCDM said local authorities and armed forces have been cooperating with the Cambodian Red Cross to get people in affected areas to higher ground. Over the last few days flooding has also affected parts Kampot province, and Pur Senchey district in Phnom Penh. Phnom Penh Governor HE Khuong Sreng visited affected areas on 20 July, 2018. The Ministry of Health’s Communicable Disease Control Department (CDC) has alerted the affected population of possible dangers in time of floods. A backup plan for polling stations possibly affected by floods is being developed by the country’s National Election Committee (NEC). Influenced by Tropical Storm Son-Tinh which made landfall in northern Vietnam on 18 July, more severe weather including heavy rainfall has been forecast in Cambodia for the next few days.

Thu, 19 Jul 2018
VERIFIED
 
CLOSED

Cambodia, Floods in 4 provinces

Kaôh Kong, Cambodia
AHA-FL-2018-000194-KHM
Quick View

Description

Update as of 29 July 2019 = 1) 453,692 families or 1,996,853 persons are affected by the effects of the Southwest Monsoon in 1,652 barangays in 7 regions: Regions I, III, VI, CAR, NCR, CALABARZON, and MIMAROPA. 2) 9,968 families or 40,319 persons are currently staying in 216 evacuation centers in Regions I, III, CAR, NCR, and MIMAROPA. 3) 120,446 families or 510,914 persons are currently staying with their relatives and friends in Regions I, III, and MIMAROPA. 4) 4,802 houses were damaged; of which, 139 were totally damaged and 4,663 were partially damaged due to the effects of the Southwest Monsoon. 5) A total of ₱61,533,018.39 worth of assistance was provided to the affected families; ₱40,052,679.43 of which came from DSWD, ₱20,692,933.96 came from the LGUs, ₱718,505.00 was from the NGOs while ₱68,900.00 came from other contributing parties = Update as of 23 July 2018 = At 11:00 PM of 22 July 2018, Tropical Depression "Josie" is about to exit the Philippine Area of Responsibility (PAR). “JOSIE” may exit the Philippine Area of Responsibility (PAR) this morning. All Tropical Cyclone Warning Signals have been lifted. Southwest Monsoon affecting Luzon and Visayas. The Southwest Monsoon (Habagat) will continue to bring scattered to widespread monsoon rains over Metro Manila, Ilocos Region, Cordillera Administrative Region, Cagayan Valley, Central Luzon, CALABARZON, MIMAROPA and Western Visayas. 1) 203,032 families or 914,338 persons are affected by the effects of the Southwest Monsoon in 752 barangays in 7 regions: Regions I, CAR, III, VI, NCR, CALABARZON, and MIMAROP 2) 5,430 families or 23,383 persons are currently staying in 135 evacuation centers in Regions I, CAR, III, NCR, CALABARZON, MIMAROPA and VI. 3) 84,774 families or 356,522 persons are currently staying with their relatives and friends in Regions I, III, MIMAROPA, and CAR. 4) 173 houses were damaged; of which, 16 were totally damaged and 157 were partially damaged due to the effects of the Southwest Monsoon. 5) A total of ₱14,904,284.48 worth of assistance was provided to the affected families; ₱9,017,848.48 of which came from DSWD while ₱5,886,436.00 came from the local government unit. = Initial Report = The Southwest Monsoon continues to affect Luzon and Visayas, with tropical storm "Son-Tinh" ("Henry") having compounded these effects. NDRRMC has issued warnings for floods and landslides in Luzon, Visayas and Mindanao, where light to heavy rainfall is expected. Two incidents were also reported by NDRRMC: 1. A flooding incident in Mamburao, Occidental Mindoro where 12 families where evacuated. Flood waters have subsided. 2. Coastal erosion in Belison, Antique as a result of strong waves which damaged 6 houses. = June 15, 2018 = Three barangays in the west of the Philippines have been affected by the Southwest Monsoon rains. The affected areas are Olongapo City, San Antonio and Subic in Zambales province where a total of 24 families and 87 people have been affected. Six houses in the area were partially damaged and five families are residing in evacuation shelters according to a Department of Social Welfare and Development report (DSWD) on July 15, 2018. The situation is being continuously monitored by the DSWD and a Low Pressure Area (LPA) was last estimated at 1,030 km East of Basco, Batanes (20.6 °N, 131.9 °E) at 3:00AM on July 15, 2018. https://dromic.dswd.gov.ph/effects-of-southwest-monsoon-14-july-2018/

Wed, 18 Jul 2018
VERIFIED
 
CLOSED

Philippines, Effects of Southwest Monsoon in Luzon and Visayas

Nueva Vizcaya, Philippines
AHA-ST-2018-000191-PHL